Thursday, September 22, 2011

Life and Death Lifestyle

It is very fitting that my very first blog is focused primarily on procrastination, since this very exercise of writing has been one of the top victims of this tendency.  I created this page in March, filled with anticipation and seemingly motivated to have a place to express my thoughts and feelings during the early days of this grief journey.  It is now September, and I’m finally taking the leap.  Enough said.

I’ll be honest-I’ve always struggled with procrastination, at times adopting it as a lifestyle choice.  Oh, I’ve usually been a responsible adult, showing up on time for appointments, paying bills on time, and in general following a reasonable family schedule.  But way too often, any optional activities were placed on the do it later list.  Eventually, the truly important tasks were completed. Over the past 3 months. I was overcome by a type of inertia never encountered in my adult life.  It wasn’t exactly depression, and I didn’t recognize this inaction as grief either.  Just yesterday, a light bulb moment occurred when I realized this as a form of grief, but from a different source.  For the past 15 years, I have lived a daily "life and death" existence.  Each day, the clear goal was to do whatever it required to keep Karsen alive while fighting the many ravages of Cystic Fibrosis.  My tasks were usually very clear cut, and decisions seemed easy-everything that wasn’t part of that goal fell away.  No guilt, no pressure, because that was clearly the only priority that really mattered to all of us.  So, most of my days were already prescribed for me, like many of us, but the big difference is these tasks were often life and death.  Now that Karsen lost his battle and  there are no more life and death decisions on daily basis, its become a herculian feat to get almost anything done. I'm understanding now that this isn't necessarily just procarastination, but the inability to figure out priorities in our family's life without the advent of life and death.  This is now my new challenge, and I finally feel able to take the steps to make this my new priority. 

4 comments:

  1. I am SO PROUD of you for getting this first post up!!! I think this can be a wonderful healing and great outlet for you.

    Keep getting inspired and writing. One day you will look back on all on your work, and be so glad what you have documented.

    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. This journey has NOW begun! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marty - Becky just posted on my blog and suggested I stop by. My name is Josh. I'm 32 and I have CF. My sister who had CF passed away in 1993 at 16, so while I certainly don't know and will never know what it's like for a mother to lose a child, I do know what it's like to have CF take someone away far too soon.

    I don't know you, but I can say I'm proud of you for posting this and I'm sending all my love and healing thoughts from Joshland. I hope you'll stop by and take a peek.

    Peaceful things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marty,
    Your friend Becky asked me to stop by. I am 20 months ahead of you in this grieving journey. This is not an easy road and not many people truly understand the road we walk.

    I am so glad you have begun a blog. I believe it will help you to have a place to express your thoughts and feelings. Please be honest and write what you feel. It will help others who come across your blog.

    kindred spirits..Heather's Momy..Sherry

    come by for a visit anytime
    www.confessionofagrievingmother.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marty! Welcome to BlogLand! You have a true knack for writing; this first post was absolutely beautiful. I know that writing can be a powerful tool for healing, both for the author and the readers, and I'm really looking forward to reading more! Congrats on the new blog!
    ~Lacey

    ReplyDelete